Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Art of Pushing Your Boundaries

Here are some of my thoughts on how we should push ourselves and move forward in life.

1. Boundary of Comfort Zone.

Some people say that our comfort zone equals to our money zone. Meaning that the amount of success you can obtain is proportionate with how much you are willing to push yourself.



We often listen to stories about great people who started out from a difficult background. If we think it through, maybe the reason why they became successful is that they have experienced hardship in their life.

"Things that does not kill you will only make you stronger"



Human has a natural instinct for survival. That is the reason why people who are pushed to the limit may sometimes be able to do things beyond his limit.

The key to push our boundaries is to set our mind to always place ourselves in a do or die situation. By having this kind of mindset, we are pushed to perform up to our maximum standard.

The second step is consistency. By always giving our best in every single thing that we do, we are able to push our limit higher and higher.


When you are struggling, use your hope to pull you forward. When you have achieved success, use your past failures and sufferings to remind you not to be complacent.


2. Boundary of Mind

The second boundary that often hinders our growth is our own mind.

There are tons of books out there stating how powerful Human mind is. We can see throughout history how human mind managed to produce creation and destruction.



Different upbringing creates different boundaries in people's mind. What we need to do is to explore our own mind and identify incorrect mindsets that always limit our potential.

For example, I was always taught that just by being a morally good person is more than enough. Money is an extra. As long as you are happy, it may not be necessary. This caused me over 18 years of life spent with no ambition and motivation to put in my best in what I do. Luckily I just came to realize how harsh the real world is. Since then, I tried to push myself harder to be successful. Because I believe that money is a tool for me to make a difference in my life and other people's life. I don't worship money, but I believe you can't make a difference if you can't even control your own life.

The first step in achieving success is adjusting our mindset. Having a correct mindset is like having a compass. We may walk through different paths in life, but as long as the compass is pointing to the right direction, we will still arrive at the destination (achieve our final goal). 



This is the reason why great people can repeat their success over and over again even if they fall. Success is a result. Ability to become successful is a skill. It can be learned. Once we master it, it stays with us for the rest of our lives.

Great people are not created as perfect beings. They equip themselves with the ability to get up when they fall, to endure when they are suffering, and to look forward when they are far behind.


2 comments:

  1. Great posting as always, ndri...

    I have yet to push my boundaries like you did. My first attempt left me with frailty and confidence problem.

    Though I've recovered and learned more about the power of our own thoughts, yet I'm still here, mustering up the courage to step beyond my boundaries again...So till that day comes, I'm grateful with what I have now...

    Thanks for the reminder ya! Keep on writing! luv them...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mastering our own thoughts is not easy. It requires time and emotional maturity to do it. That's the reason most people are able do it only in their late 30s or 40s. The first step is to acknowledge our weaknesses. Take ownership of everything that we do. And try to move forward. I can't preach much coz I feel that I am nowhere near there yet, but at least I know what I'm lacking of. What's left is to continue to change myself bit by bit. good luck!

    ReplyDelete